Time for a break from yard work at Carol's. We took the dogs for a walk along the Ocoee River.
This is the site of the 1996 Summer Olympics Whitewater Slalom course.
Water flow is controlled by a series of hydro electric dams.
Two foot bridges span the river to trails on the other side.
The fire tower, a relic of the past, was built in 1935, and originally stood 80 feet high atop Bean Mtn in the Cherokee National Forest, about 10 miles away.
Crossing the suspension bridge.
On the other side is a trail that was once part of the Old Copper Road.
About the Old Copper Road...
Thistle is interested, but perhaps we'll wait until the water recedes from the trail.
Colors of the river rocks remind us of the high content of copper and other minerals here.
This section of the Ocoee River was "remodeled" to create the white water course for the Olympics in a process that began in 1988.
The course consists of the natural river, augmented by a series of meticulously crafted artificial channels, pools, and rock features. When water is released for recreational purposes today, TVA is reimbursed for lost power gereation via a surcharge on rafting expeditions.
On the way home we drove up to Boyd's Bald, an overlook above the river.
<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ocoee+Whitewater+Center,+TN&sll=21.48139,-105.1988&sspn=0.040813,0.06875&t=h&g=21.48139,-105.1988&ie=UTF8&hq=Ocoee+Whitewater+Center,+TN&ll=35.066781,-84.461346&spn=0.010538,0.012875&z=15&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ocoee+Whitewater+Center,+TN&sll=21.48139,-105.1988&sspn=0.040813,0.06875&t=h&g=21.48139,-105.1988&ie=UTF8&hq=Ocoee+Whitewater+Center,+TN&ll=35.066781,-84.461346&spn=0.010538,0.012875&z=15&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>