Monday, April 1, 2013

Tallulah Gorge

Spring came back to Georgia, so I was able to inch my way a little northward.
To Tallulah Gorge State Park...nice campground with great hiking trails.
The trails are well maintained and dog friendly.
Of course there are some other trails that are not so user friendly...
I hiked the North Rim Trail which has several viewpoints of the gorge. This is the Tallulah Falls Dam built in 1913. A series of dams built to provide hydroelectric power were built along the Tallulah River, drastically reducing its flow through the gorge.
The upper gorge is 250 feet in depth from this viewpoint.
The trail near the Interpretive Center is accessible to one of the viewpoints.
The Interpretive Center has many exhibits that highlight the history of the gorge, and a film that takes you on a journey through the gorge without actually hiking it.
Inside the Interpretive Center 
Several movies have been filmed here, including "Deliverance," which is the only title I happened to recognize.
THe most spectacular promotional event in the history of the gorge happened on July 18, 1970 when high-wire artist Karl Wallenda walked across the gorge on a 2-inch thick cable. "I think I want to look down. But I think I better not," said Wallenda during his walk.
His costume. He was 65 years old and this walk celebrated 50 years on the high wire. It took less than 18 minutes, pausing to do two headstands over the gorge.
The 40 foot tower on the North Rim lies on its side along my trail. Wallenda began his walk from this tower. 
The cement pillars supported the tower.
From there he walked the line 1000 feet across the gorge to the South Rim.
 To a shorter 10-foot tower that still stands.
Oceana Falls can be seen from this overlook.
 The gorge is 750 feet deep here.
 There are some side trails I didn't take, since I didn't have a permit to climb or rapell. haha.
 Many vultures were riding the wind in the gorge.
 Ok, there is a higher overlook up there...it's only a quarter mile.
 We'll be careful.
And there are benches strategically placed along the trail.
 We made it. We'll turn around after we look out at Inspiration Point.
Lots of warnings.
 The view looking back toward the Interpretive Center.
You can see the suspension bridge which can be used to access the bottom of the gorge and/or the South Rim. It crosses 80 feet above the water.
 Looking across the gorge at the mountains in the distance.
 Views of the gorge.
Water cascades down this huge cliff into the gorge.
 There are a few stairs to negotiate down and back up.
But not as many as you'd have to climb it you hike to the bottom!
 I decided not to try this one the first day....maybe tomorrow.
I'll just enjoy the view of L'eau d'Or (water of gold) Falls from up here.


On the way back to the campground I stopped to admire the little things.
Like water flowing down narrow streams, racing to the river below.
 Want to watch it with me as we catch our breath and let our heartbeats return to normal? Click on the video.





2 comments:

  1. I've done the 600+ steps down to the suspension bridge, even with my knees. It was beautiful even though the river was really high when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very strenuous workout there but it looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete